Monday, March 14, 2011

BACON!! Oh Yeah, Cauliflower Soup, too.

Cauliflower admittedly isn't the most fun veggie in the box, but with a little finesse it's fine.  I do have one son who would not touch it...til today.

I'm not a fan of "Sneaky" vegetables, but with this creamy soup, I knew he would like it.  Though I found myself turning my body strategically while adding the white florets to keep him from seeing, I had to be honest with him when he point-blank asked what was in the pot.  I expected the usual "Mom, I don't like cauliflower" thing, but before he had a chance to say it, I pointed to the bacon. Total distraction - Like Dug in the movie UP was with squirrels.

As I've probably mentioned, bacon is one of those things that I truly feel that even the most die-hard vegetarian will eventually fall to if given the opportunity.  How can you really resist crunchy, salty and somewhat sweet all in one simple ingredient?  Really! You can tell me you don't like it?

Once the creamy white soup was ladled into bowls and topped liberally with bacon and cheese it was not only dinner, but leftovers were lunch the next day for my prior cauliflower hating progeny.

The cauliflower adds fiber and Vitamin C, but feel free to use all potatoes if that's all you've got.  The potatoes were really a cover for the cauliflower anyway.  You truly aren't a bacon lover (and sadly, I do have one friend who literally gags at the thought of smoked pork products in general), then drizzle fruity olive oil and sprinkle with fresh herbs.  Don't forget the salt! Oh and if you are really like my friend, tell me what you use instead.

CWYG Stats
Veggie Box - Cauliflower, green garlic, potatoes, green onions (garnish only not completely necessary)

CWYG Items - olive oil, potatoes, bacon, cheese

Cauliflower Potato Soup
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 lb potatoes (mine were from the farm so they were German butterballs I think)
1/2 lb cauliflower broken into florets and stems chopped (you can use more, this is what came in my box)

1 bunch green garlic, chopped or 3 cloves garlic minced
2 tsp sea or kosher salt
water or chicken broth to cover
1/2 cup half n half or cream
1/2 cup plain yogurt
cooked bacon, shredded cheddar and slice green onions for garnish

In a large saucepan, saute onion in olive oil until softened.  Add remaining vegetables along with salt and cover with water or chicken broth. 

Cook until all the veggies are very soft.  Blend using a hand blender or by transferring to a blender container.   (remove center part of cover and use a kitchen towel to prevent splattering.)  Return to pan and stir in cream and yogurt. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper.  Garnish with bacon, cheese and green onions if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome. I value your comments. If you think you would like to use my site for your personal advertising purposes, I would appreciate you emailing and asking me first. I've had a recent outbreak of SPAM, so I'm a little cautious. But legit conversations are always welcome.

Thanks, Christi

Copyright 2012 TablaVie Personal Chef Service

All photos and recipes may not be used without express permission from Christi Flaherty, owner and creator of Cook What You've Got Concept and blog.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...