Monday, April 25, 2011

Quinoa Bean Burgers - Meatless Monday

Meatless Monday is a great way to introduce your family to vegetarian cuisine.  No, not the tofu-laden vegetarian of the 80's. (Unless it's blended into a chocolate mousse, tofu does not enter our house.  I've tried it every way possible and it's somewhat like eating a bowl of soaking wet packing peanuts--except in the said mousse.) 

I'm too big a fan of pork products to really be a vegetarian, but I also love our earth and in order to not consume as many animal products, we do try to eat at least one or two vegetarian meals a week.

Bean cakes (or burgers) are an easy way to do this and when I found this recipe on the Eating Well website, I realized it fit the CWYG philosophy perfectly and I had everything on The List.  Plus it not only included beans, but quinoa which I love. 

Part of what I want my readers to adopt is the reality that recipes are simply ideas.  They can always be changed and are flexible so use what you have.  I didn't have avocadoes to make the guacamole or any sort of bread product to serve the burgers on but I did have lettuce from my veggie box and I had salsa I had made last week. (Want recipes for easy to make and freezer friendly salsas?)  So we simply had the "burgers" alongside a simple salad and topped with cheese, salsa and plain yogurt--which I regularly use in place of sour cream since we always have it.

By the way, you may want to double this recipe--my kids were totally bummed when they realized there were none left after their initial serving.  Plus they are great to freeze and use for lunches, too.  (Now, I'm wishing I had tripled the recipe...quick lunches...Duh!)  Happy Meatless Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome. I value your comments. If you think you would like to use my site for your personal advertising purposes, I would appreciate you emailing and asking me first. I've had a recent outbreak of SPAM, so I'm a little cautious. But legit conversations are always welcome.

Thanks, Christi

Copyright 2012 TablaVie Personal Chef Service

All photos and recipes may not be used without express permission from Christi Flaherty, owner and creator of Cook What You've Got Concept and blog.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...