Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Roasted Cauliflower and White Bean Salad

I'm trying to cut out sugar.  I hate dieting and I've avoided purposefully cutting out any food groups for awhile.  In fact in direct rebellion to the horrendous HCG diet that people are into right now, (DON'T DO IT PEOPLE) I have taken to eating bread, desserts and fat more than normal.   Now the pendulum is swinging back and bikini season is upon us.

So, though I of course will keep the nightly glass of wine, I'll let the carbs and breads go for awhile.

Tonight with cauliflower in my veggie box, I'm moving away from my normal instinct to serve caramelly roasted cauliflower and olives with pasta (which is awesome if you're eating carbs) and instead served it alongside white beans and a lemony light salad that was simply red leaf lettuce tossed with lemon juice, salt and olive oil.  It turned out to be amazing and I didn't miss the pasta at all. Though grilled sausage was on the plate as well, I found myself shoving it to the side and ended up donating it to my extremely carnivorous boys.  So I thought I'd give you the recipe more as a salad since that's how I ended up eating it.  It's more of an idea by the way, than a recipe so the measurements are more in grandmother style.

Roasted Cauliflower Salad
If you haven't roasted cauliflower, try it while it's still in season in much of the country.  Or keep this in your back pocket for next Spring if you're in the South where it may not be at the farmers markets any longer.  Serve it alone or with roasted chicken or fish.  If you're drinking a nightly glass of wine, like us, Rosé is the ideal pairing with a light Pinot Grigio or Sauvignon Blanc following close behind.
 
1 head of cauliflower (judge remaining ingredients based on how much cauliflower you have)
a handful of kalamata olives
a handful of golden or regular raisins
3 cloves of garlic thinly sliced
red pepper flakes
kosher or sea salt
extra virgin olive oil

To serve:
White beans, drained well
1 clove garlic, minced
1 lemon
Enough lettuce for 2-3 people, hearty lettuces are better than mixed greens


Heat oven to 425 degrees.  Remove the core of the cauliflower.  Using a sharp knife, slice straight down through the cauliflower into 1/2" pieces.  Cut each big slice into smaller pieces.  Transfer all the pieces (including the bits that fell off while cutting) to a large cookie sheet.

Toss the cauliflower with the olives, raisins, garlic, red pepper flakes, salt and olive oil.  Bake for 15-20 minutes, tossing at least once or twice.  When the cauliflower is very brown on the edges and tender, it's ready.  .

In a large bowl toss the beans with the garlic and enough olive oil to coat them and have some residual at the bottom of the bowl (about 1/4 cup).  Squeeze in the lemon juice and sprinkle with salt.  Taste and add more oil, lemon juice or salt as needed.  Add the cauliflower mixture and toss gently.  Serve over the lettuce.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Christi, so fun to find you here! I have wondered about the popular HCG diet also, you are not a fan I see.
    This post looks so yummy, it even tempts ME to cook and i avoid cooking at all costs. Ha! I look forward to finding some super easy, few ingredients ideas on here! Thanx!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome. I value your comments. If you think you would like to use my site for your personal advertising purposes, I would appreciate you emailing and asking me first. I've had a recent outbreak of SPAM, so I'm a little cautious. But legit conversations are always welcome.

Thanks, Christi

Copyright 2012 TablaVie Personal Chef Service

All photos and recipes may not be used without express permission from Christi Flaherty, owner and creator of Cook What You've Got Concept and blog.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...