Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Avocado Citrus Salad

My kids finally started back into school on the 9th of January!  The 9th.  What happened to getting out BEFORE Christmas and then going back after New Years Day.  My whole life is thrown off (in a good way) when they're home.  We get around more slowly, we eat more treats, I don't work out as readily.  So starting any sort of better eating habits on January 2nd (as is customary in our resolution-setting culture) were realistically not happening until they started back up into the old school routine.

BUT as of the 9th, the game was on.  The Bon Apetit Food Lover's Cleanse was my plan for getting all the sugar/alcohol/wheat toxins out of my bod. How bad could it be, I'm a Food Lover, right? (Editing Note:  For you detail people who went oo the link, and noticed it said 2011... I had printed it off with good intentions last year, but never did it.  Then I found it again this year and realized I had most of the foods on hand to begin with since they were part of The List. I'm not crazy and it is 2012!)

To stick with my CWYG concept, I didn't follow it exactly, I simply used the menus as guidelines and focused on eliminating dairy and gluten as well as limiting sugar and wine.  From that I used what I had and went for it.  (And have gone off of it for weekends and my entire birthday week!)

Turns out, I was right, it's not bad at all.  I realized again how good it feels to eat tons of fruits, nuts and veggies in lieu of sweets and more complex fatty foods. 

With a suggested similar salad on one of the lunch menus and grapefruits and avocados everywhere these days, I created this salad using sesame oil and White Balsamic from House of Balsamic (you can use rice wine vinegar if you don't have White Balsamic) instead of the Bon Apetit verjus and walnut oil version.

It was fantastic and I'm hooked.  Give it a try.

Seasonal Veggies - avocado, spinach, grapefruit, orange


CWYG Items - sesame oil, olive oil, shallots, white balsamic


Avocado Citrus Salad

Serves 2

1 avocado
1 grapefruit
1 orange
1/2 tbsp chopped shallot
drizzle of sesame oil
drizzle of olive oil
drizzle of white balsamic or rice wine vinegar
1 large handful spinach

Scoop the flesh out of the avocado with a large spoon and slice.  Cut the ends off the grapefruit and orange. Slicing downward toward cutting board, shave off the peel and white pith, reserving the peels.  With a paring knife, cut between the membrane to make supremes (the cheffy word for peel-free citrus segments.) 

Toss spinach with sesame oil, olive oil, vinegar and sea salt to taste.  Squeeze the reserved peels over the spinach and toss again.  Arrange half each on two small plates and top with half of the avocado, grapefruit segments and orange segments.  Sprinkle with the shallots and a little more of the sesame oil and vinegar.

Serve immediately and feel the sunshine inside!

Print Page Copyright 2011 Christi Flaherty, Cook What You've Got

2 comments:

  1. This looks amazing. Guess what's on my shopping list this week? All of the above, to make this appear on our family's plates on Saturday. Thanks, Christi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Debbie. It's also good with a little grilled salmon or steelhead trout.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome. I value your comments. If you think you would like to use my site for your personal advertising purposes, I would appreciate you emailing and asking me first. I've had a recent outbreak of SPAM, so I'm a little cautious. But legit conversations are always welcome.

Thanks, Christi

Copyright 2012 TablaVie Personal Chef Service

All photos and recipes may not be used without express permission from Christi Flaherty, owner and creator of Cook What You've Got Concept and blog.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...