Monday, March 12, 2012

Aloo Patta Gobhi - Potato and Cabbage Stir Fry

After almost 5 years of receiving my veggies in a farm box, there are still times when I think..."Really, more __________ (ubiquitous veggie of the season)?"  But eternally thankful for the opportunity to have easy access to food harvested only 45 miles away, I have learned to deal with it and find new ways to make ____________.  After getting two heads of cabbage within a 2-3 week period, I knew that the obvious coleslaw wasn't going to work more than one night and due to several rounds of the "Cabbage Soup Diet" in the 80s I can't stand cabbage in soup (especially the smell!!).

So wracking my brain to get inspiration, I picked up the newsletter that comes in our box.  It had a cabbage and potato fry recipe with several spices.  Remembering my Indian cooking lessson, I decided to find an authentic Indian recipe.  My search led me to this blog and then I added my spin to it.  I had freshly dug potatoes, so that was one ingredient down.  There were also spring onions and cilantro in my box so I made a quick herb raita to accompany the dish.  Not being a fan of carb upon carb, we didn't do rice, but you certainly could to stretch this recipe.  The blogger from whom I borrowed the recipe also adds frozen peas (which I would have totally done if I'd had them.)  And with pea season approaching, the fresh version would be even better.

Not a curry fan? Don't write this recipe off!  It uses whole spices (If you don't have them, I'll give you subs.)

CWYG Items

Seasonal Veggies - cabbage, onions, potatoes, cilantro, spring onions

The List Items - butter, bay leaves, yogurt, salt, garlic, coconut

Aloo Patta Gobhi
1/2 head cabbage, thinly sliced  to make 3 cups
1 1/2 lbs fingerling potatoes (any young potato will work, just not russets)
1 onion, chopped
2 tbsps butter (coconut or olive oil are fine, too.)
2 tsps cumin seeds (or 1 tsp ground cumin)
2 tsps brown mustard seeds (these mainly provide crunch, use a little mustard powder for the faint flavor if you want)
2 bay leaves
1 tsp turmeric (if you have curry powder and not turmeric, use it here.)
1/4 cup unsweetened and toasted coconut
sea salt and lemon juice to taste
Herb Raita, recipes follows

Heat the butter in a skillet until melted and bubbly.  Add the seeds and cook until they pop them add the onion.  Cook until it turns golden then add the fingerlings, bay leaves, turmeric and a teaspoon of salt. 

When the potatoes have begun to soften a bit, add the cabbage and another sprinkle of salt.  Stir fry until the cabbage wilts a little. 

Add the toasted coconut then squeeze a half a lemon or lime over it.  Taste and see if there is a balance in the spices, sweetness and saltiness.  If not then adjust with salt, lemon and/or spices if necessary.

Serve with the Herb Raita.

Herb Raita
1 cup plain yogurt
1/4 cup each chopped cilantro and green onion
1 clove garlic, minced finely
juice of 1 lemon
salt to taste

Mix the yogurt, herbs, garlic and half of the lemon juice.  Add 1 teaspoon of salt then taste.  Add more lemon and salt to make it taste good for you.


Print Page Copyright 2011 Christi Flaherty, Cook What You've Got

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome. I value your comments. If you think you would like to use my site for your personal advertising purposes, I would appreciate you emailing and asking me first. I've had a recent outbreak of SPAM, so I'm a little cautious. But legit conversations are always welcome.

Thanks, Christi

Copyright 2012 TablaVie Personal Chef Service

All photos and recipes may not be used without express permission from Christi Flaherty, owner and creator of Cook What You've Got Concept and blog.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...