Thursday, March 22, 2012

Asparagus is here!!!


Today's Box:
  • Murcott Tangerines
  • Yellow carrots
  • Leeks
  • Spring Onions (Hard to see but behind asparagus)
  • Cilantro
  • Cabbage
  • Cauliflower
  • Asparagus
I also had left from last week:
  • Arugula
  • More cauliflower (never used what I had from last week)
  • Celery
 I love asparagus season because  I love asparagus.  And I always feel like I'm cheating on my farm if I buy it any other time, plus I can't stand the fact that it's been shipped in from South America.  So with great discipline I wait it out (except for a two small slip-ups when it was dirt-cheap at 99 cents a pound.  I'm sorry Riverdog!! I felt like a cheater the whole time!  And it wasn't as good!)

So I can finally eat it guilt-free.  This batch is smaller than pencil thin and will probably be sauteed for less than a minute with some garlic, spring onions and lemon then tossed with pasta.  The bigger spears when they arrive get a little more love in the form of piggy goodness...but with the first spears, I'll go lighter.

So here's what I'm planning for this week:
  1. Roasted Whole Chicken with Arugula and Bacon Salad
  2. Asian Salad (Use the Peanut Slaw recipe in this post)  - Shredded Cabbage, cilantro, spring onions,  shredded (leftover) chicken and peanut dressing
  3. Leek and Potato Soup with Cheese and Spring onion garnish 
  4. Veggie or Chicken Pad Thai: More cabbage and spring onions (Not authentic but this recipe is basically a Pad Thai recipe that our local Asian store gave me then I add whatever greens I have to amp up the nutritional value...this time, shredded cabbage. Skip the ginger if you don't have it.)
  5. Asparagus, Leek and Lemon Pasta - Simpy sauteed leek and sliced asparagus tossed with hot linguine or spaghetti, olive oil, lemon zest and juice.  Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with parmesan.
  6. Grass-fed Burgers with Caramelized Leeks - Make your favorite burger recipe and top with leeks that have been caramelized with butter and white wine.

Print Page Copyright 2011 Christi Flaherty, Cook What You've Got

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome. I value your comments. If you think you would like to use my site for your personal advertising purposes, I would appreciate you emailing and asking me first. I've had a recent outbreak of SPAM, so I'm a little cautious. But legit conversations are always welcome.

Thanks, Christi

Copyright 2012 TablaVie Personal Chef Service

All photos and recipes may not be used without express permission from Christi Flaherty, owner and creator of Cook What You've Got Concept and blog.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...