Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Cocoa Date Truffles


I've been promising for days.  Cocoa Date Truffles. I finally got around to it and could kick myself for waiting so long.

They are so ridiculously good.

My sister was telling me about a friend making cocoa date truffles for a girls' night and how awesome they were.  I've been doing this cleanse off and on for weeks now and rather than eating sugar, I've been trying to eat fruit or drink tea.  Dates are one of those things that most people love in this situation but since I don't have much of sweet tooth, they are too sweet and have no complexity so I don't like them.  That left me with a pound of them in my cabinet.

I'm venturing to say that by the end of this week, that whole pound will have been transformed into these truffles.

The one thing that my sister said that I adhered to is that her friend added extra cocoa powder, so when I looked for recipes, a lot of cocoa powder was my main criteria.  Then I also didn't want to buy anything to make them.  I found this recipe and as usual did my own thing with it.

The result was a dark chocolatey flavor with a tropical undertone from coconut oil and shredded coconut.  It reminded me of a more virtuous Almond Joy.  (My still favorite candy bar.)

Coconut Rolled Truffle - My favorite!
With no sweetener other than a couple of tablespoons of agave nectar, I feel great about my kids having them for snacks. For my cleanse, they are a great afternoon pick-me-up since I've been avoiding coffee in the afternoons.

CWYG Items

The List Items - coconut, cocoa powder, almonds, dates and coconut oil (last two are not on the list, but should be and I will add them soon.)

Cocoa Almond "Truffles"
12 dates (soak in boiling water for 30 minutes)
2/3 cup whole almonds (I used roasted and sea-salted almonds since I like a little salt in my sweets)
2/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1 tbsp coconut oil or softened butter
2 tbsp agave nectar
chopped almonds, shredded coconut, cocoa powder for dusting

Place soaked dates (reserve soaking liquid), almonds, coconut, cocoa powder, coconut oil and agave nectar in a food processor and run until all the ingredients are well chopped and come together in a very thick paste.  (Add reserved date liquid if too thick to allow machine to run well if necessary.)

Refrigerate for 15-20 minutes or until firm.  Scoop with a 1/2" cookie scoop or teaspoon and roll into balls.  Roll in chopped almonds, coconut or cocoa powder to finish.


Print Page Copyright 2011 Christi Flaherty, Cook What You've Got

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome. I value your comments. If you think you would like to use my site for your personal advertising purposes, I would appreciate you emailing and asking me first. I've had a recent outbreak of SPAM, so I'm a little cautious. But legit conversations are always welcome.

Thanks, Christi

Copyright 2012 TablaVie Personal Chef Service

All photos and recipes may not be used without express permission from Christi Flaherty, owner and creator of Cook What You've Got Concept and blog.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...