Thursday, March 15, 2012

Greens & Leeks - This Week's Menus

I've been pondering it for awhile, but it's time.  From now on, you can count on Thursday being Menu day.  I'll list what's in my veggie box and then what I plan to do with all of it.  Sometimes (actually most of the time) this will include other veggies I've picked up along the way since we tend to plow through the box contents pretty quickly.

If you live in the Midwest or North, you may have to print this and start a notebook to have menus for next month.  In California, due to our more temperate climate, we generally have seasonal veggies a little earlier.  Those in the deep South such as Texas and East may find that we are a little behind your season.  Regardless, my site has recipes for all seasons, so you can always do a search for whatever you have on hand. (Look midway down on the right column for the Custom Google search box.)

This week's veggies (unless otherwise noted these are in my veggie box):
  • Spinach
  • Arugula
  • Leeks
  • German Butterball Potatoes
  • Cauliflower
  • Carrots
  • Oranges
  • Tangerines
  • Turnips
  • Tomatillos (picked up on deep sale)
  • Cilantro (picked up on deep sale)
  • Jalapenos (picked up on deep sale)
Since carrots, oranges and tangerines go straight into school lunches, it doesn't leave me much to work with for a full week of menus so it's going to be a challenge.  I may end up supplementing with whatever I find on sale this week at the supermarket since Farmer's Markets are not open yet.
Here's what I've got so far (in no particular day order):
  1. Smoky Chicken Soup (Avocados are on sale for 2/$1 and I have frozen corn.)
  2. Grilled Steelhead Trout with Roasted German Butterball Potatoes and Garlic Sauteed Arugula.
  3. Cream of Cauliflower Soup (I will probably add in the turnips with this.) with Fried Leeks -Slice well-cleaned leeks and fry in 1/2" of light olive oil.
  4. Spinach and Bacon Salad with Grilled Chicken
  5. Reuben Sandwiches and Buttered Potatoes (for St. Patty's Day)
  6. Chilaquiles (Tortilla strips with tomatillo sauce and cheese.)
Enjoy and please let me know what you come up with for your seasonal veggies each week.

Print Page Copyright 2011 Christi Flaherty, Cook What You've Got

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome. I value your comments. If you think you would like to use my site for your personal advertising purposes, I would appreciate you emailing and asking me first. I've had a recent outbreak of SPAM, so I'm a little cautious. But legit conversations are always welcome.

Thanks, Christi

Copyright 2012 TablaVie Personal Chef Service

All photos and recipes may not be used without express permission from Christi Flaherty, owner and creator of Cook What You've Got Concept and blog.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...