Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Weekly Menus Plus Quinoa Tabbouleh & Grass-Fed Kofta Kebabs

Okay, this was supposed to be out on Thursday. My life has been topsy turvy first with sick kids for a week then with a short recovery week (only a 4 day school week) before Spring Break.  But I still want you to see how my menu process goes each week anyway. This week's Last week's veggie box:
  • Murcott Tangerines
  • Spring Onions (More ideas for these, click here...)
  • Leeks
  • Asparagus
  • Carrots
  • Parsley
  • Mei Qing Choi (Baby Bok Choy)
Other Seasonal produce in my fridge:
  • Spinach
  • Strawberries
  • Mixed Greens
  • Fennel
  • Campari tomatoes (found a great deal I couldn't pass up.  They are never refrigerated, pesticide free and are still on the vine, so even though they aren't really in season, I cheated a little and bought them.)
  • Baby Persian Cucumbers (farmers market find and so cute!)
  • Radishes
With grass-fed beef in my freezer, I was headed in the burger route, but then I saw that parsley and spring onions were in the box and decided to go a Middle Eastern route instead.  So that was the start of my menu planning, but here's the rest with the Kofta recipe following:
  1. Kofta Kebabs with Quinoa Tabbouleh, recipe follows
  2. Asparagus and Leek Frittata with Strawberry and Spinach Salad Use this recipe for the salad subbing strawberries and feta for the citrus and salmon.
  3. Grilled Baby Bok Choy and Chicken Satays
  4. Shrimp and Lemon Pesto Pasta -used spring onions as part of the pesto
  5. Grilled Salade Nicoise - Typically made from canned tuna, I found Ahi tuna on a great deal so will use that, but canned tuna is perfectly fine.  The dressing is made out of 2 tbsp lemon juice, 4 tbsp olive oil, zest from lemon, salt and pepper to taste. (Lower fat version, you can sub 3 tbsp greek yogurt for 3 tbsp olive oil.) Then I'm arranging fennel, radishes, olives, cucumbers and hard-boiled Easter eggs---since we have a million!--- alongside the tuna over mixed greens.
  6. Wild Card Night - This is usually Wednesday night before my veggie box comes on Thursday morning so I make a soup, pasta, salad, rice or egg dish using whatever I find left in my fridge from the week.
Kofta Kebabs with Quinoa Tabbouleh
8 wooden skewers soaked for at least 30 minutes in warm water
2 cups cooked quinoa (This recipe makes perfect, fluffy quinoa!)
5 cloves garlic, minced, divided
1 bunch parsley, finely chopped, divided (can use a mixture of parsley, cilantro, mint or any one of the three)
1/2 chopped scallion (spring onions)
1 cup chopped fresh tomatoes or jarred roasted red peppers (If you don't have awesome tomatoes around, definitely use roasted red pepper for color or just leave it out. This salad is really all about the green herbs.)
2 tsp sea salt
2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup crumbled feta
3 cups shredded lettuce, mixed greens or spinach for serving
1 lb grass-fed ground beef, bison or lamb
1/2 very finely chopped onion
1/2 tsp cayenne
1 tsp each, cinnamon, ground coriander, ground cardamom, oregano
1 1/2 tsp salt
lots of cracked black pepper

Mix the quinoa, 1 tsp of the minced garlic, 2/3 of the parsley, scallion and tomatoes or peppers in a medium bowl.  Mix in the salt, lemon juice and oil. Fold in the cheese and set aside to marinate.

Preheat grill.

In a large bowl, mix the ground beef, remaining garlic, parsley, onion, spices, salt and pepper.  Divide into 8 equal pieces and form around the skewers as shown in the picture to make football-shaped kebabs.  Grill, turning every 2-3 minutes to evenly brown and cook through.

Place a large handful of lettuce on each plate and top with one quarter of the quinoa.  Arrange two kebabs over the top and serve.

Print Page Copyright 2012 Christi Flaherty, Cook What You've Got

1 comment:

  1. We are currently hosting a spring onion linky party at 2sisters2cities.com as part of our Fresh Produce Tuesday series. I would love it if you linked this recipe up!

    -m

    ReplyDelete

Welcome. I value your comments. If you think you would like to use my site for your personal advertising purposes, I would appreciate you emailing and asking me first. I've had a recent outbreak of SPAM, so I'm a little cautious. But legit conversations are always welcome.

Thanks, Christi

Copyright 2012 TablaVie Personal Chef Service

All photos and recipes may not be used without express permission from Christi Flaherty, owner and creator of Cook What You've Got Concept and blog.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...