Monday, May 14, 2012

Spaghetti with Green Garlic and Basil Pesto

If you don't have Trader Joe's nearby, I'm sorry!  If you do, go get a live basil plant.  When I replanted it, I was happy to discover 4 healthy litle starter plants instead of one like I usually have gotten in the past.  I simply separated them, replanted, pruned off the big leaves (making sure to leave tiny 3-leaved clusters beneath to encourage new growth)and watered.  Now I have healthy plants growing daily and can't wait to have a freezer full of pesto later this summer.

But in looking a the minimal pile of basil leaves, I knew that I didn't have enough to produce regular pesto, but I did have green garlic (Another green garlic recipe) and lemon zest.  So along with a small handful of blanched almonds and cashews (didn't have the typical pine nuts due to price and I felt walnuts would be too heavy), I blended it all with a little lemon juice and olive oil.

MMMMMM.....

A bright, citrusy pesto with Trader Joe's Gluten Free Corn Pasta.  I almost liked this pesto better than the original.  The more distinctly herbal flavor of green garlic along with the lemon zest really lightened it up.  Tossed with a good bit of the pasta water (essential part of true pasta making...always save at least a cup of pasta water before draining pasta to loosen whatever sauce you are tossing with the pasta) and freshly grated parmesan resulted in a creamy, but still not heavy sauce.

Since I'm watching calories, I had a small portion along with some grilled tuna so I wouldn't just eat a giant bowl of pasta (though I could have easily finished the entire dish!)  But this is a GREAT and very fresh Meat-Free Monday recipe!

Though we ate it all, this is definitely a recipe you can multiply and freeze.  Feel free to use it as a finishing sauce for grilled chicken, fish or vegetables for a low-carb meal.  Or toss with white beans or garbanzos for a quick bean salad.


Green Garlic and Basil Pesto
1/2 cup basil leaves
1/4 cup chopped green garlic (or 2 cloves regular garlic)
1/4 cup blanched almonds, pistachios, cashews or pecans
zest of 2 small lemons or 1 large
juice of the lemon(s)
1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
kosher salt
hot water as needed

In a mini-chopper or blender, pulse the basil, green garlic, nuts and lemon zest. Add the lemon juice and olive oil, then pulse again.  Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt and a tablespoon or two of hot water to loosen if the mixture is not blending well. When it is a cohesive paste, it's ready.  Taste and add salt as necessary.


Print Page Copyright 2011 Christi Flaherty, Cook What You've Got

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome. I value your comments. If you think you would like to use my site for your personal advertising purposes, I would appreciate you emailing and asking me first. I've had a recent outbreak of SPAM, so I'm a little cautious. But legit conversations are always welcome.

Thanks, Christi

Copyright 2012 TablaVie Personal Chef Service

All photos and recipes may not be used without express permission from Christi Flaherty, owner and creator of Cook What You've Got Concept and blog.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...