Monday, August 20, 2012

Have This Baby for Dinner: Gluten Free Dutch Baby with Peaches

Searching for perfection?

Look for the hand-painted signs that take you off the two lane winding, country road and onto a very narrow, one-lane road leading up and around a mountain that also happens to be a hiking/biking path.  Turn left at the small Brazelton Ranch sign through the rows of plum trees (actually the Italian Prune varietal of plums destined to become the little SunSweet "Sun-Dried Plums".) and wind around to the farm house.

Peaches that don't need sugar.  

Peaches that leave you wishing for a stack of napkins. 
Or a wetnap. 


Peaches that make you dream of 100 ways to use the 20 lb box you just bought!


It's so worth going way off the beaten path.

Here in Northern CA, stone fruits are still in season.  Every year I wait for Brazelton Ranch's peaches. And every week when I go visit June, the proprietress of the farm, I ask how much longer they will be around.  I always silently mourn the words "this is the last week" because I know it will be 10 more months before I get them again.

"Who's going to peel all of these?" June asked as she heaved the box out of the makeshift cooler by the card table.  My two boys barely waiting to allow her to put the box down before diving in to choose their first peach, I informed her that with my family, they would most likely be consumed without preserving any of them. 

Sidenote:  
I truly love having a conversation with the person who grew my food.  It takes extra time both to get there and to actually exchange words, but food is both culture and community, so it's totally worth it. Especially when my kids can name most of the people who are responsible for what's on our table.

Back to my prediction.

Less than a week with 10 lbs gone, I was right.  I haven't even had to think about preserving them.


Mid-afternoon snacks.  Granola companions.  And for this "Baby" a fantastic topping with a little lemon juice and sugar to just make them syrupy.

(Oh! Ice Cream.  I'm having a major "Duh" moment.  Why haven't I thought about that before now.  This afternoon, It. Will. Be. Done.)


So this brings me to today.  It's Monday.  Meatless Monday for me and my fellow carnivores that want to just tip-toe into vegetarianism. Though I'm not a huge fan of Breakfast for Dinner, this protein-filled recipe would be a great option for this weekday dinner "fall-back" or it would be a fabulous and easy dessert following a big salad.

It is NOT vegan by any means.  (How many eggs??!!)



BUT it is a great way to incorporate a lot of seasonal fruit into dinner.  No peaches?  Cook the more-seasonal-everywhere-else pears or apples with a little cinnamon, sugar and butter and use that for the topping instead.

Gluten Free Dutch Baby

I originally found a GF Dutch Baby (German Pancakes) on this site a couple of years ago.  But after playing with the recipe a bit and making it bigger for my giant eaters, I came up with my own version.

10 eggs

1 cup gluten-free flour blend
1 cup milk (I used almond milk)
3/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp vanilla
4 tbsp softened butter

Powdered Sugar for sprinkling
Seasonal fruit and/or maple syrup for topping


Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Liberally coat 2 9" cast iron skillets or glass pie plates with butter.

In a blender, whirl eggs for a couple of minutes until they are frothy.

Slowly add in flour blend, salt, milk, vanilla and butter to make a thin batter.  (I simply alternated the flour and milk and then added the vanilla and butter along the way.)

Divide evenly between the two prepared pans.

Place in the oven and bake 10-15 minutes or until it is very puffy.

Sprinkle with a little powdered sugar just before serving.  Top with fruit and/or syrup.

Print Page Copyright 2012 Christi Flaherty, Cook What You've Got

1 comment:

  1. I can't even tell you how good that looks! And gluten free! I love anything from a cast iron skillet. It just screams comfort. Saving this recipe for sure!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome. I value your comments. If you think you would like to use my site for your personal advertising purposes, I would appreciate you emailing and asking me first. I've had a recent outbreak of SPAM, so I'm a little cautious. But legit conversations are always welcome.

Thanks, Christi

Copyright 2012 TablaVie Personal Chef Service

All photos and recipes may not be used without express permission from Christi Flaherty, owner and creator of Cook What You've Got Concept and blog.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...