Wednesday, September 19, 2012

A Classic Question & Classic Cookie (Without Gluten)

"Half Empty" or "Half Full"? Which one are you?

Depending on the circumstance, I can be both. 

With this pan of chocolate chip bar cookies, I'm definitely thinking "Half Full"

You see, I made them to accompany the kids' choice of root beer floats after a panini fest we had with friends over the weekend.  Thankfully we were all so content after paninis and floats that even after the whole weekend of nibbling at them, I still had a half a pan left.YEAH!! Little treats for me all week.

Using my everyday gluten free flour mix, it wasn't any more difficult than making regular chocolate chip cookies.  And as you can do with any chocolate chip cookie recipe, I simply spread the whole mix into a bar pan instead of making individual cookies (which with gluten-free doesn't work so well anyway).  They had the texture of brownies (or blondies in this case I guess) at first and would have probably stayed that way if I had taken them out a few minutes earlier than I did.  But even after several days, they are still chewy and great with vanilla ice cream.

I had everything to make them, except I didn't happen to have enough chocolate chips due to a chocolate chips in a hot car episode. Keeping with my CWYG concept, I used what had then made up the rest of the two cups with chopped milk chocolate almond bar.  (Though milk chocolate isn't usually the choice for these cookies, it reminded me of one of my favorite Mrs. Field's cookies from the early days - Milk Chocolate Pecan.)  So use whatever chocolate you have in the house and make these cookies.  If you keep gluten-free flours in your house, chances are you have everything to make my everyday mix. 

Featherlight Flour Mix from The Gluten Free Gourmet Bette Hagman.
2 cups rice flour
2 cups cornstarch
2 cups tapioca starch
2 tbsp potato flour (not potato starch)


Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Bar Cookies
2 1/4 cups gluten free flour mix
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp xantham gum
3/4 butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar (I used evaporated cane juice)
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Butter a 9 x 13 pan and set aside.

Mix dry ingredients together in a medium bowl with a whisk. 

Using a mixer, blend the butter with the sugars until creamy.  Add the eggs, one at a time, then add the vanilla.  Blend well, the slowly add the dry ingredients, a little at a time on low speed.  Once the dry ingredients are incorporated, stir in the chocolate chips.

Spread evenly into prepared pan and bake for 30-40 minutes or until the middle is barely firm.

Let cool for a few minutes.
Print Page Copyright 2012 Christi Flaherty, Cook What You've Got

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome. I value your comments. If you think you would like to use my site for your personal advertising purposes, I would appreciate you emailing and asking me first. I've had a recent outbreak of SPAM, so I'm a little cautious. But legit conversations are always welcome.

Thanks, Christi

Copyright 2012 TablaVie Personal Chef Service

All photos and recipes may not be used without express permission from Christi Flaherty, owner and creator of Cook What You've Got Concept and blog.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...